Think-Alouds: Making The Invisible Reading Process Visible

 

Imagine when adolescents face complex texts, specifically in subject-area content, the reading can feel overwhelming and intimidating. In subject-area classrooms, there are demands where students not only understand the content but also demonstrate specific problem-solving skills. They need to analyze an unfamiliar historical document, interpret diagrams and maps, or perhaps follow some mathematical logic.

It is tempting to simply hand out a summary worksheet to students rather than involving them in reading, isn't it?  That way might be simpler and time-saving. However, teachers can let students peek behind the process, demonstrating how expert readers actually make sense of all that content, and help students see that even teachers take time to process the reading. Here is how think-alouds can facilitate making the invisible process of reading visible to our students.

So why Think-Aloud? When we model our thinking out loud, we let our students see our thinking process. We show students exactly what we do when we hit a tricky vocabulary word, get confused by a sentence, or try to connect new ideas with our schemata. When teachers model this process, it helps students build metacomprehension, that is, in a simple way, when we realize whether we actually understand what we are reading. Martines (2006) also notes that many students read passively, wandering as they turn pages, unaware that they have missed the main points in the text. They are not completely present in their reading process. That is why think-alouds enable readers to voice their thinking process, build their own internal dialogue and questions, and make self-corrections when their ideas do not make sense or do not align with the text. Most importantly, think-alouds make readers’ active self-monitoring visible.



Additionally, Greenleaf and Hinchman (2009) argue that struggling or inexperienced readers don't need teachers to simplify the content. What they need is the right support and scaffolding to tackle challenging material and texts. Therefore, we teachers model our thinking, we build a bridge for their students’ process. We move students from just passively watching us navigate hard texts to talking through strategies together. Eventually, they will master challenging content all on their own.

You might be interested in this website to get a better picture of how to model think-aloud in your classroom. 

 https://strategiesforspecialinterventions.weebly.com/think-alouds1.html

What do you think? I'd love to hear from you whether you think this is interesting to try, or perhaps to hear your experience practicing this in the classroom would be lovely. 

Comments

  1. Hi Dio,
    I agree that think-alouds can help students become better readers, especially when they face difficult texts in different subjects. Hearing a teacher pause, ask questions, and work through confusion shows students that understanding takes effort. I’ve tried think-alouds with students, and I think the key is giving them a chance to practice those same moves themselves, rather than only listening to the teacher model them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the idea of think-alouds because students can see how a teacher thinks through something hard instead of just getting the answer. I do something similar in my daycare classroom. For example, when we are learning letters, I talk out loud about what I see and how I remember the letter. This helps the children see how I am thinking and gives them an idea of what they can do when they are not sure about something. I was wondering, how can teachers help students start using think-alouds on their own?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Dio, I really liked your idea of using think-alouds, which gives the students a better understanding of how to approach hard readings. I also agree with you that showing students that teachers can also struggle with texts can make the learning process feel more comfortable. It seems like a good way to further help students become more independent and comfortable readers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked your point about think-alouds making the reading process visible for students. I agree that sometimes students struggle not because the content needs to be easier, but because they need more support with how to approach it. I also like the idea of teachers modeling what they do when they get confused, because it shows students that understanding difficult texts can take time. I think this could be especially helpful in subjects like math and science where students have to understand both the words and the concepts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that think-alouds are a great way to get students more invested in the reading process. It allows them to better understand the complex things they might be reading as well as staying focused from page to page and from line to line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked your discussion of think-alouds because they can help students understand what strong readers are actually doing while they read. Many reading strategies happen silently, so students may not realize that good readers ask questions, make predictions, connect ideas, and stop when something is confusing. By modeling these thoughts out loud, teachers can make the reading process more visible and easier to understand. I also think this strategy can help students become more independent over time because they can begin using the same questions and strategies on their own. Think-alouds seem especially useful when students are working with difficult or unfamiliar texts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello,
    Yes, I agree that it is important for teachers to model their thinking when they are going over material. I remember some of my high school teachers would practice this method of teaching. For example, my AP Language and Composition teacher when we would go over the multiple-choice question, he would explain verbally his thought when it came to eliminating a choice and how he then selected the final answer. He also explained how he would skim back through the text to find the answer to the question. For me, I found it really helpful that my teacher modeled his thinking because it helped me learn how I should think when answering MCQ and how I should annotate the text.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogpost Example

Social media consumption and its drawbacks (as well as its benefits)

1st Week Blogpost: Smartphones, Social Media, and Literacy