OPRF: Missing the Trees for the Forest

 Chat with me about OPRF


 

 Note: I mention several topics in this video that either require visual supports or corrections. See timestamps below for supporting visuals and/or corrections. Notes with an asterisk (*) indicate a correction.

1:43: Oak Park Elementary*
1:57: There are no other public high schools in Oak Park. Fenwick High School is a private Catholic institution.
5:30: I didn't elaborate on what I meant by "differences." Just a few examples are:
  • Schools serving primarily Hispanic students received brand new buildings with new gyms, fields, and facilities. The only school serving primarily Black students received the old district building remodeled to be a school. This was, therefore, the only school that was not new, had no windows in the majority of classes, and had to share a rented field with the secondary school.
  • The first school I worked at had several wheelchairs for students who were injured or who needed assistance navigating the school grounds. The second school I worked at had none. When one of my students tripped and fell, busting her head open, my principal and assistant principal had to carry her to the nurse's office.
  • Our printer at my second school was broken for 6 months. We only ever received used printers to replace the broken one. They all broke as well. I never had a problem at my first school.
        My connecting thought between these experiences and the documentary is essentially that, as I explain later in the video, the microaggressions against my Black colleagues and Black students built up in a similar manner to those the Black students in the documentary built up. It was an activating watch because it reminded me of the school I worked in.
7:10: I say this because the only school board member and school administrator that spoke with the documentary team were Black. 
7:21: The graph in question:



9:55: Actually, the population of Black and Hispanic students has doubled since the documentary's filming.
10:49: I was wrong. This actually happened AT OPRF! So each time I mention "Julian" or "Percy" middle, think OPRF!!! That makes my comparison hit even harder, I think... Here is the story from the Chicago Tribune on the matter. 
12:28: I am not arguing that antisemitism does not happen at OPRF, nor am I trying to excuse teacher behavior that was antisemitic. Here is a good opinion piece aligning with what I'm trying to say here. 


Comments

  1. Hi Mack!
    I really enjoyed hearing your thoughts in this podcast! As someone who is still learning about race and racism in the US, your way of explaining the documentary made it easier for me to follow and understand the content. I found your comparison between the BLM discussion in the documentary and the situation at Julian Middle School interesting. It made me think about how complicated it can be when schools try to address issues involving race, identity, or political conflict.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogpost Example

Social media consumption and its drawbacks (as well as its benefits)

1st Week Blogpost: Smartphones, Social Media, and Literacy