Buehl and how Keeth Smart connects to the reading

 After I read chapter one, I had many ideas on how to actually think like a student and at the same time be able to help students learn the ability to be insiders. Keeth Smart similarly learned to be an insider not from learning about fencing, but from actually thinking like an experienced fencer. He went from being an outsider (fencing isn't for me) to being an insider and doubling down on his fencing career thanks to his coach. His development is also consistent with what Buhel mentioned in the apprenticeship chapter, in which he learned most from another experienced fencer. He had a very hard time learning, but that shift in perspective after he graduated was his biggest change to become the best. His story is extremely sad as well because he faced many setbacks, yet he had the hunger to keep going. I kind of imagine if there is no motivation, would that still keep him fencing if he never switched from being an outsider to an insider? If they don't see themselves as insiders, what motivates them to keep participating in a discipline?






Comments

  1. Hi, thank you for bringing up the concepts of intrinsic and extrinsic motivation in our blog discussion, and I do share your perspective. I understand that building extrinsic motivation is much easier than developing intrinsic motivation. In fact, we teachers tend to focus more on facilitating extrinsic motivation among students through grades, extra points, physical gifts, and presents. That is where teachers also need to work an extra mile to build students' intrinsic motivation.
    Also, I'd love to learn about any ideas or creative ways you find effective for building this intrinsic motivation. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogpost Example

Social media consumption and its drawbacks (as well as its benefits)

1st Week Blogpost: Smartphones, Social Media, and Literacy