Video Games for Textual Analysis: A Genre for the 21st Century
For our first blog post, I want to focus on this survey conducted by the Pew Research Center:
Click the image to open the article
Out of the 1,423 teens surveyed by the Pew Research Team, 85% say they play video games. Out of those, 41% say they play video games daily.
Researchers such as Dr. Gholdy Muhammad argue we should include meaningful, culturally relevant and sustaining texts in our lessons and curricula. They argue doing so increases motivation, engagement, a sense of belonging, and a preservation and extension of culture (Muhammad, 2023).
The beauty of the video game for textual analysis is multi-faceted. As the player, you can engage in self-insert roleplaying, or you can immerse yourself in someone else's story. You can test your skills, hone your problem solving, and practice thinking critically about a situation. Video games for textual analysis provide countless ways to engage in the reader-text-activity-social community relationships.
What could be more culturally relevant to teens than video games? Social media, you could argue (see Teens, Social Media and AI Chatbots 2025 which notes that up to 95% of teens are engaging with some fashion of social media, with 76% saying they use socials daily). Social media provides interesting texts for analysis on human behavior, propaganda, and other topics. YouTube, which Pew Center cites as a type of social media, also provides many examples of creators using video games for textual analysis.
I'd like to provide a couple examples of ways in which creators have used video games for textual analysis, as well as lesson ideas for using video games for textual analysis in your classroom.
First, let's discuss Any Austin. Any Austin is a YouTuber whose niche is exploring video games for specific criteria, then writing persuasive and argumentative video essays on said topic. His theses, use of evidence, and well-thought analyses are exemplary mentor texts for students learning to write in these genres.
His most popular video essay is "Where do Hyrule's Rivers Go?", an exploratory essay answering the above question:
One of my personal favorites is "How Many Trees Are There in Skyrim?"
These video essays are phenomenal examples for students of ways to conduct surveys, collect data, analyze said data, and write convincing interpretations of data.
This would also be a great way to engage students in analyzing fictional texts, posing questions, and looking for evidence in the text for answers. By selecting video games with themes of importance, students can experience these themes, then use a mentor text/author like Any Austin to analyze and interpret their experiences.
My favorite video game of all time is Baldur's Gate 3. This game is not appropriate for children. However, it's a giant in terms of literary genius, narrative, and game mechanics. Therefore, I will give an example of a lesson using this video game. I wouldn't recommend trying this particular activity with your students, though 😉
For anyone who needs a refresher, or who isn't familiar with the game, Baldur's Gate 3 allows you to play as a character you create (Tav) or as a pre-made character. The problem you are attempting to solve (initially) is that Mind Flayers have infected you with a tadpole. This means there is a little worm in your brain, slowly taking you over. Eventually you'll turn INTO a Mind Flayer, losing yourself entirely. Lore says your soul is essentially deleted from the universe in favor of the new Mind Flayer. Obviously, neither you or your companions want this.
Mind Flayers are "aberrations"; in other words, evil beings that really shouldn't exist, yet here they are
For this assignment, you would need to play through Tav's (your main character) initial meeting with Raphael. Here is the scene:
While you play through the scene, make sure to note which responses you select. Do not select the "attack" option, or you will be locked out of the conversation. If you'd like to fight, save before the conversation, complete it, then load the save. Note while you're conversing:
Why did you select that response?
Did Raphael reply in a manner you expected?
After completing this scene, evaluate Raphael's behavior and commentary. Consider:
Why did Raphael begin the conversation in the way he did?
Why did he take specific actions?
What was Raphael trying to convey to you, Tav?
For the conversations and actions you analyze, be sure to provide quotes or descriptions to support your claims.
---
Video games are a perfect way to provide active engagement for your student with texts that are interesting and relevant to them. Not to mention the visual and auditory supports video games provide, two things which are essential scaffolds for emergent readers, multilingual students, and students with disabilities. Video games are an accessible and awesome way to engage your students in the consumption and analysis of great literary texts.
I love this idea! We already analyze books and movies, so why not games? They’re full of characters with motivations, expressions, and choices that students can try to first recognize and then analyze. Some of the best video essays I’ve seen take “simple” games such as Minecraft and uncover a lot of hidden meaning and/or add their own interpretation that can lead to further discussion. The assignment you shared is a perfect example of how games can spark thoughtful analysis. Children have spent years hearing about how “bad” video games are, and I do think there are some harmful aspects of video games, but we cannot just say something is harmful without thinking about how useful of a tool they can be. They’re engaging and filled with opportunities for students to show they understand themes, character development, and textual evidence.
Hi Alee! Thanks for your response. I think what you mention about video games being harmful is an interesting idea to explore. I think this idea stems primarily from interacting with video games in excess. I think, as with any form of entertainment, teaching students what level of interaction is appropriate is necessary! Video games can be a great scaffold for advanced analysis, which you can then apply to traditional texts.
This being a focus on video games that not only engage but also transform your space into a whole other realm is so cool! I think this would also be great to do as a whole group/class and make decisions together! I always have had the interest in learning how to play these video games, the ones that take you on a quest, the ones that bring life out of decisions! This is really cool! I can only connect this with my own experience playing games off of the computer when I was younger like poptropica but I also was very fascinated by the video games my dad played that were realms and whimsy like but also fighting scenes with different creatures! I also Love this as a form of literacy!
Hi Klarissa! Thanks for your comment :) Yes, I agree that video games are their own form of literacy! Each genre/type of video game also contains sub-specialized vocabulary and knowledge. For example, I primarily play RPGs (role-playing games, e.g. Baldur's Gate) and "cozy" games. People define cozy games differently, but some of my favorites are Stardew Valley, Fields of Mistria, and Minecraft. I have pretty strong "muscles" in these games! However, drop me into Fortnite, and it becomes very obvious that I am not literate in survival/battle royale games.
Not all video games are created equal, and there are many modern video games that a) offer rich entry points into traditional forms of literacy (I'm thinking about fiction and nonfiction writing extensions alike) and b) represent "texts" in and of themselves that are worthy of critical analysis. As older adults teaching teens/young adults we owe it to our students and ourselves to consistently challenge our own biases about what constitutes a "text" and to approach students' authentic interests with curiosity and an openness to the possibilities they offer for rich learning.
Thanks for the reply, Maddy! I think this is such an important mindset. Something I think about is older role-playing games (RPGs), and how these RPGs were essentially visual novels with some gamification elements. One great example of this is the first Baldur's Gate or the first Elder Scrolls games. These games do have live combat and decision making trees, but the majority of the lore, information, and plot lives in the books and conversations with the characters! Neither of these games were voice acted either, so you have to be traditionally literate to fully immerse yourself in the games. These games came out in the 90s, and I think they would be great games for analysis as well!
I love any Austin's videos, I do always find them to very engaging and given all of the different ways he connects video games to real life I often find myself learning something new about the world around us. This is very interesting perspective that I definitely think would be interesting to look into.
I really like the idea of using video games as a form of literacy in the classroom. Many students already spend a lot of time playing games, so connecting video games to learning could make lessons more interesting and meaningful to them. I also agree that games can help students practice critical thinking because they have to make choices, solve problems, and understand characters’ motivations. The example of analyzing conversations in Baldur’s Gate 3 was especially interesting because students could explain why they made certain choices and use evidence to support their ideas. I think this could be a creative way to teach textual analysis.
I really like the idea of using video games as a form of literacy in the classroom. I agree with Zhengming because I think games can make learning more fun and engaging for students. For example, in most of my classes, teachers would use Kahoot, Jeopardy, Quizlet Live, and other games to help us review what we learned. I noticed that these activities made the class more interactive and helped me remember the material better. I also agree that video games can help students with critical thinking because they have to make decisions, solve problems, and understand different situations. I think using games in the classroom can be a creative way to get students involved while still helping them learn important skills.
I agree that video games help students develop their problem-solving skills, and the idea proposed in the post is a very cool way to accommodate that potential. However, excessive video game exposure remains an issue that requires sustained effort from all parties to help teens use games responsibly. The idea of using games as part of literacy and text analysis could bridge the gap, so mindless screen time for entertainment might swiftly shift toward a more focused learning experience.
This is so cool! Using video games to teach textual analysis makes so much sense because students are already spending time with these stories and thinking about character choices. Bringing games like Baldur's Gate 3 or videos like Any Austin's into the classroom breaks down that old perspective that gaming is just "brain rot." Instead, it helps meet students where they are and ties in their own interests to practice core skills like evaluating character motivations and making well-reasoned arguments.
Below is an EXAMPLE BLOG POST written by Kristine Wilber , a teaching assistant in a previous semester of CI 414 / 504, a teacher veteran, and school librarian! __________________________________ The term “literacy” is loosely defined as the ability to read, view, write, design, speak, and listen in a way that allows effective communication. If someone is “literate,” they are proficient, capable, sophisticated, articulate, productive. It’s a rather fun exercise to imagine all the ways we ARE literate, then all the ways we are not. I, myself, am literate in traditional, book-bound reading and writing. There is hardly a time when I am not participating in one or the other. (That’s hyperbole.) I cannot, however, claim much literacy with numerical and spatial concepts. I struggle to understand very basic mathematical ideas like slope. I cannot read maps and get lost leaving the garage. My dear colleague in the STEM department, Mr. Math...
There are many topics this can cover, but the three biggest will be related to the readings from Pew Research. To start off, I read the articles talking about how women and men consume and apply wellness content from influencers as opposed to professionals. The second article I then read was about in-school cellphone bans. Finally, I finished the readings off with a shocking statistic that more 12th graders are now less likely to want to be married. To be completely honest, I will share my following opinions about each (please feel free to disagree; I take this more as my take on what I would find most beneficial if I had kids) The biggest point I agree with is banning social media for those under 16. There are 2 main reasons as to why I agree with this ban. Firstly, it is obviously the actual media consumption. This ties back to the topic of wellness influencer consumption. This is not inherently bad; in fact, I started going to the gym for that exact reason. However, it is...
I was so surprised that the Pew Research Center has so many topics related to education. Thank you for letting me know about such a great resource. One eye-catching title was "Support Grows for School Cellphone Bans," and I started with this article because, personally, I support banning smartphones at school. Even for me, as an adult, a smartphone is the biggest temptation and distraction, not only from reading but also from work. I’m sure it’s really hard for young students because even adults have difficulty controlling their screen time. In addition, the article states that 6 out of 10 students have smartphones by the age of 16, but I think more than 6 out of 10 students have smartphones at an even earlier age. Even though some students don't have smartphones, they have access to digital devices like iPads or computers at a very early age. I strongly believe those digital devices have a huge impact on students' reading by reducing their opportunities and environ...
I love this idea! We already analyze books and movies, so why not games? They’re full of characters with motivations, expressions, and choices that students can try to first recognize and then analyze. Some of the best video essays I’ve seen take “simple” games such as Minecraft and uncover a lot of hidden meaning and/or add their own interpretation that can lead to further discussion. The assignment you shared is a perfect example of how games can spark thoughtful analysis. Children have spent years hearing about how “bad” video games are, and I do think there are some harmful aspects of video games, but we cannot just say something is harmful without thinking about how useful of a tool they can be. They’re engaging and filled with opportunities for students to show they understand themes, character development, and textual evidence.
ReplyDeleteHi Alee! Thanks for your response. I think what you mention about video games being harmful is an interesting idea to explore. I think this idea stems primarily from interacting with video games in excess. I think, as with any form of entertainment, teaching students what level of interaction is appropriate is necessary! Video games can be a great scaffold for advanced analysis, which you can then apply to traditional texts.
DeleteThis being a focus on video games that not only engage but also transform your space into a whole other realm is so cool! I think this would also be great to do as a whole group/class and make decisions together! I always have had the interest in learning how to play these video games, the ones that take you on a quest, the ones that bring life out of decisions! This is really cool! I can only connect this with my own experience playing games off of the computer when I was younger like poptropica but I also was very fascinated by the video games my dad played that were realms and whimsy like but also fighting scenes with different creatures! I also Love this as a form of literacy!
ReplyDeleteHi Klarissa! Thanks for your comment :) Yes, I agree that video games are their own form of literacy! Each genre/type of video game also contains sub-specialized vocabulary and knowledge. For example, I primarily play RPGs (role-playing games, e.g. Baldur's Gate) and "cozy" games. People define cozy games differently, but some of my favorites are Stardew Valley, Fields of Mistria, and Minecraft. I have pretty strong "muscles" in these games! However, drop me into Fortnite, and it becomes very obvious that I am not literate in survival/battle royale games.
DeleteNot all video games are created equal, and there are many modern video games that a) offer rich entry points into traditional forms of literacy (I'm thinking about fiction and nonfiction writing extensions alike) and b) represent "texts" in and of themselves that are worthy of critical analysis. As older adults teaching teens/young adults we owe it to our students and ourselves to consistently challenge our own biases about what constitutes a "text" and to approach students' authentic interests with curiosity and an openness to the possibilities they offer for rich learning.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the reply, Maddy! I think this is such an important mindset. Something I think about is older role-playing games (RPGs), and how these RPGs were essentially visual novels with some gamification elements. One great example of this is the first Baldur's Gate or the first Elder Scrolls games. These games do have live combat and decision making trees, but the majority of the lore, information, and plot lives in the books and conversations with the characters! Neither of these games were voice acted either, so you have to be traditionally literate to fully immerse yourself in the games. These games came out in the 90s, and I think they would be great games for analysis as well!
DeleteI love any Austin's videos, I do always find them to very engaging and given all of the different ways he connects video games to real life I often find myself learning something new about the world around us. This is very interesting perspective that I definitely think would be interesting to look into.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of using video games as a form of literacy in the classroom. Many students already spend a lot of time playing games, so connecting video games to learning could make lessons more interesting and meaningful to them. I also agree that games can help students practice critical thinking because they have to make choices, solve problems, and understand characters’ motivations. The example of analyzing conversations in Baldur’s Gate 3 was especially interesting because students could explain why they made certain choices and use evidence to support their ideas. I think this could be a creative way to teach textual analysis.
ReplyDeleteI really like the idea of using video games as a form of literacy in the classroom. I agree with Zhengming because I think games can make learning more fun and engaging for students. For example, in most of my classes, teachers would use Kahoot, Jeopardy, Quizlet Live, and other games to help us review what we learned. I noticed that these activities made the class more interactive and helped me remember the material better. I also agree that video games can help students with critical thinking because they have to make decisions, solve problems, and understand different situations. I think using games in the classroom can be a creative way to get students involved while still helping them learn important skills.
DeleteI agree that video games help students develop their problem-solving skills, and the idea proposed in the post is a very cool way to accommodate that potential. However, excessive video game exposure remains an issue that requires sustained effort from all parties to help teens use games responsibly. The idea of using games as part of literacy and text analysis could bridge the gap, so mindless screen time for entertainment might swiftly shift toward a more focused learning experience.
ReplyDeleteThis is so cool! Using video games to teach textual analysis makes so much sense because students are already spending time with these stories and thinking about character choices. Bringing games like Baldur's Gate 3 or videos like Any Austin's into the classroom breaks down that old perspective that gaming is just "brain rot." Instead, it helps meet students where they are and ties in their own interests to practice core skills like evaluating character motivations and making well-reasoned arguments.
ReplyDelete