Social Media, Artificial Intelligence, and the Future of Being Human!!! (Blog #1)

 There are many topics that could be discussed when talking about technology today, but the three biggest topics I want to focus on are social media, artificial intelligence, and the possibility of using technology to actually change or improve humans.

To start off, I read an article from Pew Research Center about how people around the world view social media and democracy. The second article I read discussed how Americans feel about artificial intelligence and its impact on people and society. Finally, I read an article about AI and human enhancement, which discusses things that honestly sound like they came straight out of a science fiction movie.

To be completely honest, I have mixed feelings about all three topics. Technology has made our lives easier in many ways, but I also think we are moving so fast that sometimes we forget to ask one important question: Just because we CAN create something, does that mean we SHOULD use it?

Social Media: Helping Democracy or Hurting It?

The first article I read was called Social Media Seen as Mostly Good for Democracy Across Many Nations, But U.S. Is a Major Outlier. One of the most interesting things about this article is that people around the world have very mixed feelings about social media.

Social media can help people learn about important events, connect with others, and share their opinions. For example, if something important happens in another country, people can often learn about it within minutes. Social media can also give ordinary people a voice. You do not need to be a politician, celebrity, or journalist to share your opinion with thousands of people.

However, there is a major downside.

Some shocking survey results:

  • In the countries surveyed, a median of 57% said social media has been mostly good for democracy.
  • But the United States was very different. Only 34% of Americans said social media was mostly good for democracy, while 64% said it was mostly bad.
  • A median of 84% across the countries surveyed believed that the internet and social media have made it easier for people to be manipulated with false information and rumors.
  • At the same time, many people also said social media makes them more aware of important events and issues.

That is what makes social media so complicated. The same app that can teach you something important can also spread completely false information.

The Pros:

  • People can learn about current events quickly.
  • Ordinary people can share their opinions.
  • Social movements can spread faster.
  • People can connect with others who have similar experiences.
  • Important information can reach large groups of people almost instantly.

The Cons:

  • False information can spread extremely fast.
  • People can become trapped in "echo chambers," where they only hear opinions they already agree with.
  • Social media can make political arguments more aggressive.
  • People may share information without checking whether it is actually true.
  • Algorithms may show people content that keeps them angry or emotional because emotional content gets more attention.

My biggest concern is that social media does not always reward the truth. Sometimes it rewards the loudest, funniest, angriest, or most shocking post.

Fun fact: Something does not need to be true to go viral. Sometimes false information spreads because people are shocked and immediately share it before taking even thirty seconds to check it.

My Solution

My solution would be something I call a "Truth Speed Bump."

Before someone reposts a political or news-related post, the app could randomly ask a very simple question:

"Did you read the full article?"

Or:

"Would you like to see two other sources about this topic before sharing?"

This would not ban anyone from sharing their opinion. It would simply slow people down for a few seconds.

I think one of the biggest problems with social media is not always what people believe. It is how FAST people react. A small pause could prevent thousands of people from spreading something they never actually checked.


Artificial Intelligence: Helpful Tool or Something We Are Becoming Too Dependent On?

The second article I read was How Americans View AI and Its Impact on People and Society. This article was probably the most interesting to me because AI is becoming part of everyday life so quickly.

Think about it. AI can help people write, translate languages, answer questions, recommend music, create pictures, and even help scientists discover new medicines.

But the Pew Research survey shows that many Americans are still nervous about where this is all going.

Some shocking survey results:

  • 95% of U.S. adults said they had heard at least a little about AI.
  • 50% of Americans said they are more concerned than excited about the increased use of AI.
  • Only 10% said they are more excited than concerned.
  • 57% rated the risks of AI to society as high.
  • Only 25% rated AI's benefits to society as high.
  • 73% said they would still be willing to let AI help them with everyday activities.
  • 50% said AI could make people worse at forming meaningful relationships.
  • Americans were also concerned that AI could hurt people's creative thinking.

Honestly, I understand why people feel this way. AI is useful, but people are worried about becoming too dependent on it.

For example, if AI writes everything for us, solves every problem for us, and creates everything for us, what happens to our own ability to think?

The Pros:

  • AI can help scientists develop new medicines.
  • AI can make some jobs easier and faster.
  • It can help people with disabilities access information.
  • It can translate languages and help people communicate.
  • It can help students understand difficult topics when used responsibly.
  • AI can help solve complicated problems.

The Cons:

  • People may become too dependent on AI.
  • AI can spread false information.
  • People may lose confidence in their own creativity.
  • Jobs could change or disappear.
  • AI can make fake images, videos, or information look real.
  • People may trust AI even when it is wrong.

One thing that really surprised me was that even younger adults, who use technology more often, are still concerned about AI hurting creativity and relationships. This shows that being good at technology does not automatically mean trusting technology.

My Solution

My solution would be an "AI Nutrition Label."

We have nutrition labels on food that tell us what is inside. Why not have something similar for AI?

Every major AI-generated response, image, or video could include a simple label showing:

  • What information the AI used
  • How confident the AI is
  • Whether a human checked the information
  • Whether the content was created entirely by AI
  • What the AI might NOT know

For example:

AI INFORMATION LABEL
Confidence: 82%
Human reviewed: No
Possible outdated information: Yes
Sources available: Yes

I think this could help people understand that AI is a tool, not a magical machine that is automatically correct.


AI and Human Enhancement: How Much Technology Should Change Us?

The third article was called AI and Human Enhancement: Americans' Openness Is Tempered by a Range of Concerns.

This article was probably the most futuristic because it asks questions about technology that could actually change human abilities.

For example, the article discusses:

  • Artificial intelligence
  • Facial recognition
  • Driverless cars
  • Computer chips connected to the brain
  • Gene editing
  • Technology that could improve human abilities

At first, some of these ideas sound exciting. Imagine technology helping someone regain an ability they lost or helping doctors prevent serious diseases. That could change millions of lives.

But then there are bigger questions.

What happens when technology stops being used to HELP people and starts being used to make people "better" than other people?

Some interesting facts from the survey:

  • Americans' opinions often depended on HOW the technology would be used.
  • People were more comfortable with technology when it was used for safety or medical purposes.
  • People became much more concerned when technology could invade privacy or change what it means to be human.
  • Americans showed caution about using computer chips to improve people's brain abilities.
  • The public was closely divided on some uses of gene editing, especially when it involved reducing serious health risks.

This is where I think things get really complicated.

Imagine two students. One studies for an exam using their own brain. Another student has access to technology that makes them remember everything perfectly. Is that fair?

Now imagine rich people being able to afford expensive technology that improves memory, intelligence, or physical abilities while everyone else cannot.

Technology could eventually create a completely new type of inequality: not just rich versus poor, but technologically enhanced versus non-enhanced.

The Pros:

  • Technology could help people with disabilities.
  • Medical technology could improve people's quality of life.
  • Gene editing could possibly reduce serious diseases.
  • Brain technology could help people regain lost abilities.
  • AI could help doctors make better decisions.

The Cons:

  • Technology could create new inequalities.
  • People's privacy could be at risk.
  • Humans could become too dependent on machines.
  • Wealthy people may have access to enhancements that others cannot afford.
  • Technology could be used for purposes that society later regrets.
  • We may not fully understand the long-term consequences.

Fun question: If technology could make you instantly better at something, would you use it?

For example, imagine a chip that could make you instantly fluent in another language. That sounds amazing. But would learning still feel meaningful if you never had to struggle, practice, or grow?

My Solution

My solution would be a "Humanity Check" before major technology is released.

Before technology that changes human abilities becomes available to the public, a group of different people should test the idea together. Not just technology experts.

The group could include:

  • Scientists
  • Teachers
  • Students
  • Parents
  • People with disabilities
  • Psychologists
  • Regular everyday citizens

The technology would have to answer three questions:

  1. Does this technology help people without taking away their freedom?
  2. Will everyone have a fair chance to access it?
  3. What happens if this technology is used in the worst possible way?

I think we sometimes let technology experts make decisions that affect everyone. But technology affects students, families, teachers, workers, and communities. Everyone should have a voice.


What All Three Articles Have in Common

After reading all three articles, I noticed something important: people are not necessarily afraid of technology itself. They are afraid of losing control over it.

Social media can connect people, but it can also divide them.

AI can help people, but it can also make people dependent on machines.

Human enhancement can help people overcome serious challenges, but it could also change society in ways we are not prepared for.

The biggest question is not:

"Is technology good or bad?"

The better question is:

"Who controls the technology, and are humans still making the important decisions?"


Final Thoughts

Overall, these three articles made me realize that technology is not going away, so simply saying "technology is bad" is not a realistic solution. At the same time, blindly accepting every new invention is probably not a good idea either.

I think we need balance. 

We need social media, but we also need digital literacy.

We need AI, but we also need human thinking.

We need new technology, but we also need rules and limits.

The future should not be about choosing between humans and technology. Instead, the goal should be figuring out how technology can help humans without replacing the things that make us human in the first place.

However, if you have a different solution, I would love to hear it!


Sources

Pew Research Center: Social Media and Democracy

Pew Research Center: How Americans View AI and Its Impact on People and Society

Pew Research Center: AI and Human Enhancement

Comments

  1. I wouldn't call this a blog but more a whole article lol. Anyway I think you did an OUTSTANDING job on your topics. I especially liked your pros and cons list. You included stats, possible solutions, and your many sources. I do especially agree that tech will simply get better and easily dependable, but it should not replace what makes us human. I love your rewritten question as well. AI and future tech isn't about whether it is good or bad. It is about how much it controls our lives. I would love to read more blogs from you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, I really love your blog! I love how consistent you were with the format and analysis of all three articles. I agree with your point that technology is advancing so fast that we’re not stopping to ask the ethical questions we should. AI is growing at a pace that feels almost impossible to keep up with, and yet we haven’t had the big conversations about job loss, creativity, or how kids are being shaped by AI‑heavy environments. I also loved your truth speed bump idea. Over the years I have grown my digital literacy, so even when I do run into a social media post that really shocks me, I remind myself that I’m on social media, and in order for me to know if this is true or not I need to do more research about it. I think a truth speed bump would definitely slow some people down and really make them wonder about the reliability of what they have just read. Lastly, your AI nutrition label idea is great too. So many people think AI is always right, when really it’s just a model learning from data, sometimes messy, sometimes outdated, sometimes just contradicting itself. A label showing confidence levels or whether a human reviewed the content would help people understand that they still need to think critically.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think AI and climate change represent the two main drivers of nihilism/dread for teens today. Both issues are existential, create huge levels of uncertainty about the future, and policy/government have moved at a snail's pace to reign in the potential for disaster. Really heavy stuff to sit with, especially for someone whose frontal cortex hasn't even finished developing :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swati,

    I think your ideas regarding socials and digital literacy are wonderful, especially for the youth. I think this applies to AI as well-- teaching students how to spot obvious AI, and what to do when you suspect something is AI but it's not easy to tell.

    I think your ideas on AI itself and human enhancements are more difficult to implement. This relates to your question of who controls the technology. The rich and powerful will do whatever it takes to push AI into every aspect of our lives (we've all lived and experienced this, yes?), and I have no doubt that in within 15ish years, the same will be true of technological enhancements. People are already putting chips into their palms to replace other NFC-related items, right?

    Where do we draw the line? What technology is and is not okay? What is moral and what is unethical? What about those who are tread upon for the success of AI and technological enhancements? How do we fight against those in power, against those with money?

    We're seeing success in places like NYC, Michigan, LA, etc. In towns and cities refusing, defunding, removing data centers. Crowd-sourcing, gathering the People, pushing back against the people with money. It can be done, but not without great effort. We each need to decide what we're okay with, band together with our communities, and do our part to insist on guardrails and kill switches for AI, to insist that those without and with technological enhancements maintain equal playing fields, and that the advancement of technology is for the betterment of all humanity, not just the few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Swati,

    I really enjoyed reading your very detailed blog post on social and digital literacies. I really liked how you explained both the positive and negative sides of technology use. More specifically, I found the section on social media the most interesting a yes, it can be a way for most, mainly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, my reply was posted by accident. Here is the rest:

      I found the section on social media the most interesting. Yes, it can be a way for most people, mainly teenagers and young adults, to use it to stay informed about the world around us and to share their opinions, but it can also spread inappropriate, false information, which can cause significant harm. I also found the AI section interesting. More and more people, be it middle school to college, to even adult jobs, are relying more and more on AI, and I think that is absolutely insane. This will impact many, as it can harm brain development, creativity, and our overall ability to think for ourselves. The overall idea of using AI to further enhancement creates doubt of fairness and privacy, and whether or not everyone has equal access to it. But overall, I really liked this post. You did a good job explaining how to properly use ai and whether or not we as humans are able to stay in control.

      Delete
    2. I really liked how you connected all three topics back to the idea of humans still having control over technology. I especially liked your “Truth Speed Bump” idea because I think a lot of misinformation spreads simply because people repost things immediately without checking if they are true. Even a small reminder to read the article or look at another source could make people think twice before sharing.

      I also agree with your point about AI becoming something we could depend on too much. AI can definitely be helpful, especially for learning and understanding difficult topics, but I think there should still be a balance where people are using their own critical thinking and creativity. Your point about human enhancement was also interesting because access could become a major issue. If only wealthy people could afford technology that improves memory, intelligence, or other abilities, it could create an entirely new type of inequality. I think your “Humanity Check” is a good idea because decisions about technology should involve more than just the people who create it.

      Delete
  6. I loved your idea of an AI nutrition label. I know with AI software lots of the information can just flat out untrue. They try to cover themselves by adding ¨ Information should be fact checked ¨ but don´t offer stuff like confidence percentages like you suggested. AI has many problems and isn´t really gonna go away anytime soon so If it is going to be used for major applications like medicine or Law it needs to be heavily refined.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogpost Example

Social media consumption and its drawbacks (as well as its benefits)

1st Week Blogpost: Smartphones, Social Media, and Literacy