Blog Post 1: Klarissa Guillen

🥔Couch Potato Homework Blog🥔

Blogger: Klarissa Guillen
Typing from: My Mac book & on the living room couch w/my dogs :)
(Click the blue article titles for links!)

First wonders based off of the title: (Maybe you'll have them too) 

- I wonder what age range this article's author considers to be a "young adult"?

- Engaging with the world in what way?
- "Wanting" something is different than "needing" something so I wonder how deep this article will get?
- Anything with "country", "youth/young adults" and, "engage" makes me think this might be political? 

First wonders based off of the title: (Maybe you'll have them too)

- Who are "those" we are speaking of in this article?

- I wonder why the word "theme" and not "opinion" was chosen for the focal point of the article?
- I like how this article doesn't connect to the idea of "tech will take over the world" and more of a "we are building this the to benefit us" mind set.
- What is being considered a "key decision" that will be made by humans?

First wonders based off of the title: (Maybe you'll have them too)

- I wonder if this data is based in Chicago?

- I remember I was working at Burger King during the coronavirus outbreak and was labeled as an "essential worker" during the pandemic. CRAZY!!
- I'm interested in reading the way the connection between the coronavirus outbreak to the lack of work/school in "young people" will be explained (because I never stopped working lol).
- As an educator and daughter of immigrants, I hate that based off of this title, I myself, know way too many "young people" that are very apathetic.

Here is how I categorized my main points for each article after reading: (pay attention to the change in colors for connection) 


Final thoughts on Article 1
- All in all, I think that the youth in America is "wishy-washy" in my head. 
- After reading these articles I think that I questioned my own knowledge in my country's history, government, and politics. 
- I learned that isolationists are basically anyone that's neutral but also say things like "well it depends on what is a priority and what isn't" but then that comment doesn't contribute to action. 
- In the end, these three articles can all connect with how youth in America wants their country to appear on the global stage.
- Maybe the youth is creating the initiative to take action and the youth just doesn't know how to go about it?
- Are the youth in America ashamed of its history? Are the older generations proud?
Final thoughts on Article 2
- I feel like when reading over the opinions on different people about tech in the future I kind of get anxiety. I am fully aware that technology is becoming more advanced but I also feel like there is too much greed, hate, and oppression in the world to keep an optimistic view on technology for me.
- I think I trust in the youth to always be skeptical and challenge technology but in order to challenge something there also needs to be a reason to feel the urge to challenge it. 
- This article has no in-between, its either focus is on technology making our lives "easier" (like the movie WALL-E) or war weapon creation through technology and evil plans with the use of AI. 
- There is also TOO MANY people that trust in the government making laws to protect humans and our well being. 
Final thoughts on Article 3
-It makes me really sad that the youth affected by the coronavirus outbreak and lock down are very apathetic. 
- My first year teaching was in 2024-2025 school year. I taught high school, I both loved it and hated it because they were affected by the lock down when they started high school. I was freshly out of college where I was also affected by the lock down my freshman year of college. 
- In the short but very informative article, I could relate to it a lot because I have taught that bunch of "disconnected"/apathetic youth. It's tough to watch and very hard to keep up spirits in.
- It made me think of Maria Montessori's fourth plane of development in a child to young adult. The focal age range here is 18-24 years old!
- This is very fascinating to me because in this plane of development our brain focuses on a specialist mind. Here we have a broader exploration to focus on field of study, career, and professional path. We seek to learn about financial independence because we are now willing and able to along with moral independence. This is where we refine our personal values, discern truth, and take full responsibility of our place in the community. 
- No wonder this group of people lack the drive to learn more, it was messed with right at the start! 
Please let me know what your thoughts are! 


 

Comments

  1. First of all I loved how you formatted your blog! It was easy to read it. For the first article you wrote about I agree with the idea that the youth wants to "fix" their country but they feel they don't know how. In my opinion the lack of governmental efforts and the meddling with other countries has mad it hard to find ways to "fix" our country. It gives the youth this feeling of defeat. It forces the youth to question do I care about my happiness or do I care about my country? But the kicker is is that most of the time our quality of life it heavily tied to policies and governmental interactions. Now moving on to the second article my initial question on AI is at what cost. AI does have such a big impact on the youth today. I do agree with you that the youth will be more skeptical towards AI but I think there are already a reason to challenge it. Job insecurity, environmental impact, and lose of critical thinking. These are to name a few. We unfortunately have people with the most power who invest in AI and this relates to the first article. The anxiety that you feel is so valid. Lastly, it is crazy how much COVID has impacted the job market especially for the youth. The combination of COVID and AI has only increased the job insecurity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Klarissa,

    I like how you are questioned the readings before you got into it. A lot of times articles have titles that are purposely provoking to catch people's attention, and sometimes it can exaggerate what the point of the article was suppose to be. I do wonder how young people feel about the history of the nation. With social media and the internet it has become way easier for them to see some of the horrors the country has committed. There has been times when I tell a class something the government has done and a lot of them have trouble believing me. Movies are unable to push the patriotic message into them as easy as before. In your article to thoughts I have the opposite belief on young people not fully trusting technology. I know they are aware of the negatives that it brings them and how exposed their information is when they use it. Most of them are okay with that price because they need that hit of serotonin that a lot of them only get from doom scrolling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,I really liked how you connected the third article to Montessori’s fourth plane of development. Covid absolutely could have interrupted such an important stage of young adult and their development, finding their perisnal values, and figuring out their future. I also agree with your point about technology. I think being skeptical of AI and new technology is important, especially when so much of it is being developed so quickly and without restriction. We dont know how itll impact kids in the long run but it cannot be beneficial. Your question about whether young people actually want to take action but don’t know how to really stood out to me because I think that could apply to all three articles.

    Also I lover how colorful your presentation was. :3

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Blogpost Example

Social media consumption and its drawbacks (as well as its benefits)

1st Week Blogpost: Smartphones, Social Media, and Literacy